Question on Remoting configuration file

Cindy Liu

I have Server.dll, General.dll, and Client.dll. General.dll is the interface
class. I want to put General.dll into the GAC. Here is my Client.exe.config
file looks like:
<configuration>
<system.runtime.remoting>
<application>

<channels>
<channel ref="http" port="0" />
</channels>

<client>
<wellknown type="General.IBroadcaster, General, Version=1.0.1.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5ea3a3bf58a3f382"
url="http://localhost:5555/Broadcaster.soap" />
</client>

</application>
</system.runtime.remoting>
</configuration>

When run client.dll and execute RemotingConfiguration.Configure(filename), I
get the following error:

Config file eventlistener.exe.config can not be read successfully due to
exception System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Version information is
present in the assembly name 'General, Version=1.0.1.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=5ea3a3bf58a3f382' which is not allowed for client wellknown
entries.

So when I put general.dll in the GAC, what does the client configuration
file look like?

Thanks in advance!!!
Cindy
1 Answer

Ken Kolda

This is strange since the documentation states fairly clearly that a fully
qualified assembly name should be permitted. I found a previous thread on
this issue and a workaround was suggested:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=uEpK2LphCHA.1356%40t...

Hope that helps -
Ken