Is Remoting the best for me?

posttoandy

10/12/2004 4:53:00 AM

Hi all,

Not sure if Remoting is the ideal choose for me so please give me some
recommendation.

Story:
I need to build a Live Update system with VB.NET winapp, (possibly)
Remoting and MS-SQL.

What it does is the Win-App (client) with a dataview listed all the
data in the SQL DB will build-in a Remoting object, which connects to
a Remoting object sits on the SQL server. There're multiple Win-app
client will connect to the SQL server's Remoting object. The client
Remoting can send a request to update the SQL database. Once it's
updated, the server's Remoting will send a message to all client
Remoting it knows that connected to it and tell the user that DB has
updated and will refresh the screen to update the dataview.

Like the following:

Client (VB.NET WinApp) SQL Server
______________________________ _______________________
| | | |
| ---------- ---------- | | ---------- |
| |dataview| |Remoting| | | |Remoting|<--->DB |
| | |<---->| |<-------------->| | |
| | | | | | | ---------- |
| ---------- ---------- | -----------------------
------------------------------

Do I have the right concept? Or is there anything works better than
just Remoting? Or it is possible to implement?

Even better if a example or hyperlink can be provided for I am doing.

Thanks in advance
1 Answer

Sam Santiago

Sounds like a workable approach. You might want to check out these links:

Exploring the Observer Design Pattern
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/observerp...

and

Remoting Chat Example