actively refused exception

eliasstmailbox-google

10/9/2004 4:10:00 AM

Hi all,
I´m having a problem with remoting in my application, it is a Windows
service, when I install it in a new machine(Windows XP SP 1) and try
to connect to it I get the "actively refused" exception(it doesn't
even work locally), but when I install Visual Studio .Net 2003 in the
machine, the application starts responding and works great, locally
and remotely, could someone please tell me what I'm missing?
2 Answers

Sam Santiago

This usually happens for several reasons:

1) The server application is not running prior to the client application.
Verify the server (in this case a service) is truly started an operational.

2) Name resolution. Try an IP address vs. a machine name. If that works,
then you have a name resolution issue. You can have your network admin
check DNS or WINS or whatever you are using to resolve names. You can also
update the HOSTS file in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC director as
well.

3) Socket permissions. Check out this link regarding setting socket
permission via configuration:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconconfiguringclientappli...

or check out the SocketPermission class:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemNetSocketPermissionClas...

4) Remoting configuration. You client and server are not using the same
port.

Thanks,

Sam
--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Elias Sanchez" <eliasstmailbox-google@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I´m having a problem with remoting in my application, it is a Windows
> service, when I install it in a new machine(Windows XP SP 1) and try
> to connect to it I get the "actively refused" exception(it doesn't
> even work locally), but when I install Visual Studio .Net 2003 in the
> machine, the application starts responding and works great, locally
> and remotely, could someone please tell me what I'm missing?

eliasstmailbox-google

Hi Sam,
Thank you for your reply, it turned out to be a configuration issue, I
was using programmatic configuration(I know first mistake), I changed
it to a file configuration and now it's working again(I still don't
know exactly what was causing it because it's the same configuration,
and it was working before, but I guess that's why the recommend the
use of a file)