Remoting is hanging from Custom to IIS Host swap

ahmed

10/2/2004 7:19:00 PM

I had a perfectly working remoting host working out of a console
environment. As soon as it was finished i planned to move it over to
my Hosting service which required me to use IIS.
The host still works but seems to crash when more and more traffic
seems to accumulate, it worked perfectly on a custom HOST....what can
i do to see what is causing it or any suggestions or things to add in
code that might make my application more IIS friendly?

Ahmed
5 Answers

retoro

I'm not sure you've given enough information to get any real help. The
subject of the message says your problem is that something is hanging. In
your message you say the host "seems to crash". Please be much more specific
about the symptoms you're seeing, e.g. when you say the server crashes, what
do mean by that? If you get an exception please provide it's complete text.
If there's no exception, is it just that the server doesn't return the
expected results, is there some other indication that it has failed, ...?

Ken

"Ahmed" <ahmed@cuic.ca> wrote in message
>I had a perfectly working remoting host working out of a console
> environment. As soon as it was finished i planned to move it over to
> my Hosting service which required me to use IIS.
> The host still works but seems to crash when more and more traffic
> seems to accumulate, it worked perfectly on a custom HOST....what can
> i do to see what is causing it or any suggestions or things to add in
> code that might make my application more IIS friendly?
>
> Ahmed

Ahmed Ben Messaoud

Well i get no exception, that is the weird part.
Any calls after a certain amount of time will just eventually timeout.
The thing is it works perfectly with a custom host though i just need it
to work with IIS because i am putting this on a my HOST and i cannot run
console apps on it.

Ahmed

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***

Ingo Rammer

There is unfortunately quite a number of possible causes. It could for
example be a case of thread pool starvation: if your server side processing
logic uses up all existing 25 threads per CPU in the threadpool (and doesn't
release them again), no new requests will be served and the client's calls
will time out.

Also: if your custom host previously used a Tcp channel, the timeout will
always be infinite. Maybe your queries just take a longer time and you now
run into the HttpChannels timeout. (Which you can increase by changing the
timeout sink property after getting your proxy)

Another possibility is that your application exposes some completely
non-Remoting-related issues which only turn up during higher loads. (i.e. do
the timeouts happen under low load as well? How does your custom host react
after the same amount of calls and/or at the same load level?)

Just some ideas, though,
-Ingo

thinktecture
http://www.thinkt...
In-depth support and consulting for software architects and developers

"Ahmed Ben Messaoud" <ahmed@digitalmorse.net> wrote in message
> Well i get no exception, that is the weird part.
> Any calls after a certain amount of time will just eventually timeout.
> The thing is it works perfectly with a custom host though i just need it
> to work with IIS because i am putting this on a my HOST and i cannot run
> console apps on it.
>
> Ahmed
>
> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***

Ahmed Ben Messaoud

that makes sence because i seem to be able to make no calls at all
except for the ones that have no DB connectivity within the calls.

How can i release these thread pools? i thought they would terminate
after the call.

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***

msnews.microsoft.com

Normally, you don't need to release them. This is only applicable whenever
you use constructs similar to ThreadPool.QueueUserWorkItem() or other means
which take threads out of the pool. If you are doing this, then you should
make sure that the work which is queued is completed in reasonable time.

If you need to run longer background threads (something which you should
normally avoid in IIS), then it might be better if you create a new
Thread/ThreadStart.

However: this is only applicable if you want additional background
processing. Otherwise this shouldn't affect you and I would go the route of
comparing the performance/response time of your custom host under the same
load as IIS. Normally, IIS will be *way* more stable and responsive.