newsgroupposts

10/1/2004 3:44:00 PM

Hello,
Can any one point me to some sample code and/ or articles on
implementing a Server Formatter Sink provider. How diffrent is this
from creating a transport sink provider? For eg:- How diffrent would
it be with respect to the SMTP transport provider given in Ingo
Rammers book?

Ken
1 Answer

msnews.microsoft.com

Hi Ken,

the short story (as you mentioned the book, I assume that you are familiar
with it or the samples ;-)): A client-side formatter is just an IMessageSink
which takes a Message object in its ProcessMessage() call.

It then has to do all the formatting (it doesn't matter how this is done,
it's an implementation detail) and forward the resulting stream to the next
sink's (which will be an IClientChannelSink) ProcessRequest() method.

The reverse is true on the server. This means that there is - formally - no
difference between a formatter and a channel sink. The only difference is
that you have to take care of all the serialization/deserialization.

The longer story: avoid it, if possible. Creating custom formatters is a
very complex task because they have to be general-purpose. If you for
example need to speak a given custom protocol with a remote host, it might
usually be easier to just manually implement this protocol without binding
it to .NET Remoting.

-Ingo

thinktecture
http://www.thinkt...
In-depth support and consulting for software architects and developers