Two way communications using .NET Remoting

John Olbert

9/28/2004 7:25:00 PM

newgroup: dotnet.framework.remoting

Subject: Two way communications using .NET Remoting

We want to use Remoting to establish two communications (both by value and
reference) between two C# modules. One is a standalone Exe using Window
Form's. The other is a C# Dll that is loaded by a modified unmanaged C++ Exe,
modified to contain managed C++ code that uses the C# Dll.

Everything works at this point except we don't know how to set up a two way
calling system between the C# Dll and the C# Exe. We have established a one
way Remoting system. The C# Dll can successfully call functions on the C# Exe
and also transfer (by value) full classes over to the C# Dll.

We tried to use the same server side code on the client to make it a server
but it did not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much.
--
John Olbert

2 Answers

Ken Kolda

They way I'd do this is, upon establishing a connection to the server, I'd
have the client pass the server a MarshalByRef object to be used for
callbacks (actually, I'd make it so the server only needed the object's
interface). When the server needed to contact the client, it would simply
invoke a method on the callback object.

Ken

"John Olbert" <someone@snet.net> wrote in message
> newgroup: dotnet.framework.remoting
>
> Subject: Two way communications using .NET Remoting
>
> We want to use Remoting to establish two communications (both by value and
> reference) between two C# modules. One is a standalone Exe using Window
> Form's. The other is a C# Dll that is loaded by a modified unmanaged C++
Exe,
> modified to contain managed C++ code that uses the C# Dll.
>
> Everything works at this point except we don't know how to set up a two
way
> calling system between the C# Dll and the C# Exe. We have established a
one
> way Remoting system. The C# Dll can successfully call functions on the C#
Exe
> and also transfer (by value) full classes over to the C# Dll.
>
> We tried to use the same server side code on the client to make it a
server
> but it did not work.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks much.
> --
> John Olbert

John Olbert

Thanks.

This did work.

If it is acceptable could I send a small demo Solution for your review, to
be sure I covered the main points.

Thanks again.

--John Olbert