Brian Linden

9/28/2004 6:27:00 PM

I have a website that does the following:

1. Get Request
2. Get Data From Cache
3. Determine if "limit" has been reached (a counter I have)
4. If not, I serve the page, and update the counter cache.
5. Every X amount of requests I update the database with the counter in cache.

I put it in Cache, because I donâ??t want to hit the database all the time.
The information in cache doesnâ??t change often, but it is very important that
I keep track of the counter.

The website has become very big and I am going to start to farm it out.
As a result, I would need some sort of global cache.

Is it a good idea to do this with remoting? If I had a Windows Service that
hosted the remote object (SAO Singleton) that could perform the business
logic and return the results.

I really did dumb it down so that I could simplify my scenario, but it is
more then just a counter. It performs a lot of logic, and the correct
numbers must be be delivered. If I kept in the local cache they would be out
of sync. I am getting about 600 RPS.

What are some issues that I should think of? Is this a good idea?

Any input will be appreciated.
Brian