thelawnet

9/28/2004 3:16:00 PM

I have a lot of remoting methods that look like this.

void UpdateDataset(DataSet ds) {
}

As there is no return value, if I place [OneWay] on the methods will
it improve performance or offer other benefits?

And if so, what happens if the method raises an exception? Will the
fact that the method is OneWay cause problems for the client - i.e.
will the client still be informed about the exception
1 Answer

Ken Kolda

From the client's perspective, performance would be improved since the
client will not wait until the server has completed the processing. However,
if an exception occurs on the server, the client will never receive it, thus
there's no way the client will know if the update succeeded. I would only
use OneWay functions for truly "fire-and-forget" type notifications, not for
critical functionality.

Ken