Is DotNet remoting the c# equivalent to applets and servlets?

David Flajole

9/24/2004 9:39:00 PM

[Long time reader, first time poster!!!]

Hello,

I am building a real-time internet auction app that will need to function
like many of the on-line games that I have seen on the web. The program
will be written with ASP.Net/C# and needs to allow two-way communication
between the server service and several web clients (can be limited to IE,
Mozilla & Netscape). It is not necessary for clients (bidders in this case)
to communicate with each other, but their bids must be seen by all clients
in the auction. Online bidders will be competing against bidders at our
yard in real-time, so I need the fastest approach to cut down on the
inevitable delay.

I have talked to Java programmers that use applets and servlets to create
apps like this, but I will be using C#...can remoting be used to accomplish
the same thing? If so, will my clients be using a browser or will I have to
install an app on their machines? If not, will I be forced to program with
raw TCP using asynchronous sockets?

Thanks a lot,

dave

2 Answers

Sam Santiago

No, .NET remoting is NOT equivalent to applets and servlets. It is a
interprocess communication mechanism between .NET applications - both ends
must be .NET. The closet .NET object to a servlet is an HTTP Handler:

INFO: ASP.NET HTTP Modules and HTTP Handlers Overview
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

On the client side you can you can probably use an applet, an ActiveX
control, or pure Javascript depending on what needs to be done and what
browsers you need to support.

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"David Flajole" <davidflajole@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [Long time reader, first time poster!!!]
>
> Hello,
>
> I am building a real-time internet auction app that will need to function
> like many of the on-line games that I have seen on the web. The program
> will be written with ASP.Net/C# and needs to allow two-way communication
> between the server service and several web clients (can be limited to IE,
> Mozilla & Netscape). It is not necessary for clients (bidders in this
case)
> to communicate with each other, but their bids must be seen by all clients
> in the auction. Online bidders will be competing against bidders at our
> yard in real-time, so I need the fastest approach to cut down on the
> inevitable delay.
>
> I have talked to Java programmers that use applets and servlets to create
> apps like this, but I will be using C#...can remoting be used to
accomplish
> the same thing? If so, will my clients be using a browser or will I have
> install an app on their machines? If not, will I be forced to program
with
> raw TCP using asynchronous sockets?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> dave

David Flajole

Thanks Sam!

From what I read on HTTP Handlers, I would not be able to keep a tcp socket
connection open and do what I want to do. I am new to programming (most of
my experience is with SQL), so I may not have understood everything I came
across in my research.

Also, I may take this to another newsgroup because I am not sure if remoting
is the best way to handle the task. I think I am actually moving towards
building a smart client for the auction application so I am looking into
using Asynchronous TCP sockets in C#.

If anyone has any suggestions on using remoting to do this, I would be very
grateful for the help.

dave