How to check if remoted object is present?

TT

If I connect to a remoted object using RemotingServices.Connect, then a
TransparantProxy is returned even if the remoted object is not alive.

How can I check whether the remoted object is alive without having to call
a method in its remoted interface?

Thanks,
--
Tom Tempelaere.
2 Answers

Ken Kolda

See comments inline below...

"TT (Tom Tempelaere)" <_|\|_0$P@|/\|titi____AThotmailD.Tcom|/\|@P$0_|\|_>
wrote in message news:C2405420-848D-4F38-A9C3-A66390C4128D@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> If I connect to a remoted object using RemotingServices.Connect, then a
> TransparantProxy is returned even if the remoted object is not alive.

Yes, a proxy is returned but it's created by the client, not the server. No
communication with the server occurs during the call to
RemotingServices.Connect().

> How can I check whether the remoted object is alive without having to
call
> a method in its remoted interface?

As you've discovered, you need to call a non-OneWay method on the object.

> Thanks,
> --
> Tom Tempelaere.

TT \(Tom Tempelaere\)

"Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> See comments inline below...
>
> "TT (Tom Tempelaere)" <_|\|_0$P@|/\|titi____AThotmailD.Tcom|/\|@P$0_|\|_>
> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I connect to a remoted object using RemotingServices.Connect, then a
> > TransparantProxy is returned even if the remoted object is not alive.
>
> Yes, a proxy is returned but it's created by the client, not the server.
No
> communication with the server occurs during the call to
> RemotingServices.Connect().
>

> > How can I check whether the remoted object is alive without having to
> call
> > a method in its remoted interface?
> >

> As you've discovered, you need to call a non-OneWay method on the object.

Is that a dummy-method I would have to write myself then? There is no methd
such as 'CheckConnection' or something?

Thanks,
---
Tom Tempelaere