Remoting method call never returns control back to client

callcutj

9/21/2004 8:20:00 PM

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Situation is basically
this:
I have a client Windows Service that uses remoting over a TCP channel
that passes data to a remoting server hosted by another Windows
Service. Everything seems to work great (for several weeks at a time)
and then the client just stops passing data to the server.

I have extensive logging in both the client and server and what I have
found based upon the logs is that:

1) The client assemblies the data, establishes a connection to the
server, and then calls the remoting method

2) The server receives the data, processes it, and returns (in this
case, the return value is a boolean)

3) The log for the client never logs another message after the message
written just before the call to the server.

I found a couple of people posting similar issues (see:
http://www.error-bank.com/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.webservices/2625_T...
and
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22windows+service%22+calling+webservices+problem&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=110d01c24224%246b7a53b0%24a4e62ecf%40tkmsftngxa06&...).
I have been unable to find anything in the Microsoft knowledge base
even remotely related to this problem.

All code is in C#, .NET CLR 1.1 (no service pack yet, however).
Neither the client nor server Windows Services use timers, however,
the client does run this process on a thread independent of the main
thread.

If you have experienced this problem and/or--ideally--solved the
problem, any help would be great. If anyone needs additional
information, please post and I'll fill in what I can.

Thanks!