One Server .NET Remoting Simulation

Henry

9/16/2004 11:01:00 PM

Hi guys,

I want to practice remoting. The problem is that I only have one server
available.
Can I simulate calling objects in different ports using one server?
Is so, can someone provide me with an article, tool or example on how to
accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Henry

1 Answer

Ken Kolda

You can certainly build and test your remoting app on a single server --
there's really no different between this and running on two machines on the
same LAN. However, if you plan to deploy your app across a WAN then they
will need to be aware of potential issues that may arise that you won't see
just on your local machine (see
http://www.glacialcomponents.com/ArticleDetail/... for more info on
this).

As for "calling objects in different ports", I'm not sure what you mean
exactly. Your server process will generally listen on a single port and all
of its remoted objects will be serviced by this one port. It is not possible
in .NET remoting to specify that a particular port only service a particular
object without creating multiple AppDomains in your server process.

Ken