Connection actively refused on localhost

BeanDog

9/15/2004 11:18:00 PM

I'm using the Socket class to connect across a local area network. When I
test the application by running both the client and server on my development
machine, the connection works fine when I try to connect to "127.0.0.1" but
the connection is "actively refused" when I try to connect to
"<computername>", even though I'm putting in my own computer's network id.

Any ideas why this could be? Windows Firewall is not enabled.

~BenDilts( void );
3 Answers

Ken Kolda

Once your server is running have you tried to telnet to the server's port
using the computer name? If that doesn't work, then you have a network issue
(firewall, proxy, etc.). Are you by any chance using the HttpChannel under
IIS? If so, you may have a problem of your IIS being misconfigured.

Ken

"BeanDog" <BeanDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using the Socket class to connect across a local area network. When I
> test the application by running both the client and server on my
development
> machine, the connection works fine when I try to connect to "127.0.0.1"
but
> the connection is "actively refused" when I try to connect to
> "<computername>", even though I'm putting in my own computer's network id.
>
> Any ideas why this could be? Windows Firewall is not enabled.
>

> ~BenDilts( void );

BeanDog

I can connect with "telnet localhost 31415" but I cannot with "telnet
Referral 31415", even though I'm running the server and telnet both from the
computer Referral. I suppose that if I try to use the UNC name, it goes
through the router and right back to my computer. There is probably a
firewall built into our wireless router, and I'll go look for that.

Thanks.

~BenDilts( void );

"Ken Kolda" wrote:

> Once your server is running have you tried to telnet to the server's port
> using the computer name? If that doesn't work, then you have a network issue
> (firewall, proxy, etc.). Are you by any chance using the HttpChannel under
> IIS? If so, you may have a problem of your IIS being misconfigured.
>
> Ken
>

> "BeanDog" <BeanDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using the Socket class to connect across a local area network. When I
> > test the application by running both the client and server on my
> development
> > machine, the connection works fine when I try to connect to "127.0.0.1"
> but
> > the connection is "actively refused" when I try to connect to
> > "<computername>", even though I'm putting in my own computer's network id.
> >
> > Any ideas why this could be? Windows Firewall is not enabled.
> >

> > ~BenDilts( void );

Clint

Before I could get the Socket sample client and server talking over a lan, I
had to set the ,NET Socket Permissions.
Could that be your problem?

HTH,

Ron.