jonathan

11/5/2003 4:58:00 PM

Hi all,

I have created an application which uses the Outlook object model from
within VB.NET to save new outlook attachments and then decode the
attachment and populate a MS SQL database.

This works OK.

I then migrated this standard windows application to a Windows Service
Project and the outlook side of things would not work. However if I
manually specify a filename I can populate the database OK. I have now
learnt that the Outlook Object model cannot be used with a Windows
Service (known limitation).

The next step was to investigate extended MAPI but this is not
supported in .NET. So then there was CDO which I could only get to
work to send an email using at SMTP server. I have no idea how to use
this to initialise an outlook event to trigger my processing as in my
first application mentioned.

I would appreciate any help or advice please???..

JP

The other alternative is to have a VBA macro which saves the
attachment and have a filesystem watcher in my service which triggers
the processing.
However I am reluctant to take this approach.