microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

QuickStart Tutorial "A Personalized Portal" does not work (for me

no.spam

11/4/2003 6:41:00 PM

When I try to execute this sample, I get an error indicating it could
not find SQL stored procedure "LoadPersonalizationSettings".

Did I miss something in setting the tutorial up? I found nothing on
the Microsoft site about this.

Thanks in advance for help.

1 Answer

no.spam

For anyone else who may encounter this:

Looking at the log file generated by the setup program, I could see
that some of the database operations required during setup failed
because the SQLserver had not started. Re-runs of the setup program
failed to fix the problem because the script ignores this part when
the database it needs exists. How it came to exist is a mystery to
me. I fixed the problem by manually running:

c:\microsoft visual studio.net\FrameworkSDK\samples\setup\portal.sql

using OSQL. Tracking this down was rather fun, I used VS.NET's server
explorer and found the "Portal" database, but it had no tables or
stored procedures. After running the above mentioned script, those
components appeared and the application now runs correctly.