microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

How to distribute a C# Application

Ali Nez

11/2/2003 7:41:00 PM

Hi

I have written a C# application uding MS Visual
Studio .NET

When runnig the program in another maachine i get an error
message "Program failed to initialise properly"

I belive i need to intall CRL...

How can i create a setup program which will run my C#
program in another machine.

Regards

Ali
3 Answers

Phil Wilson

Start with a Visual Studio Setup&Deployment project. If all you're deploying
is your program that should be pretty straightforward.
--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]
"Ali" <eli_nez@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have written a C# application uding MS Visual
> Studio .NET
>
> When runnig the program in another maachine i get an error
> message "Program failed to initialise properly"
>
> I belive i need to intall CRL...
>
> How can i create a setup program which will run my C#
> program in another machine.
>
> Regards
>
> Ali

Ali Nez

Thanks for your reply

I have now created a Setup program by creating MSVS Deployement ptoject
and building it.

Unfortunastely the program does not install .Net fram work.

My question is: Have I to install first the .NET Framework alone and
then run my Setup program or may I include the Framework in the Setup
project.

Thanks again

Ali

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***

Phil Wilson

You can't really install the run-time from your setup. Your setup requires
Windows Installer 2.0 (which is installed by the .NET redist install). On older
systems with 1.1 Windows Installer your MSI file won't even start (but you might
have packaged as a setup.exe). If the .NET framework isn't on the system at all,
it's not clear to me whether you can install the CLR from the setup in such a
way that the rest of the setup will work, because the setup package might use
parts of the CLR to install assemblies etc. People solve these problems with
autorun programs on CDs or other setup programs to prep the system. In the
longer term, the framework will be part of the OS (as on Server 2003).
--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----