microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

NT Service, .NET and Sockets

Hello,
I have two different programs- one uses IMAP and the other uses it's own
IMAP protocol (implemented using sockets). Both programs use the IP*Works
toolkit (for .NET). When the "socket" code is running from a desktop
(winform) test harness, there are few if any timeouts when these "clients"
talk to a server. However when this code library is used in the context of
an NT Service-- the routines experience an "usually" large number of
timeouts (when talking to the server).
1) Is there any way to "boost" the response time of services?
2) Are there any limitations that .NET places on NT Services?
3) Why would an assembly of code respond differently (poorly) when running
as a service?
Thanks in advance,
Gene

2 Answers

quansun

I'm now performing research on the issue. I will update you as soon as
possible.

Best regards,

Duke Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support
<MCSE/MCDBA/MCSD>

quansun

After extensive research on the issue, I can't reproduce the issue on my
side. However, in order to troubleshoot the issue on your side, I think you
can use Network Monitor to monitor the in/out network packets.

For more details on how to install Network Monitor, please refer to:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN...

For more details regarding how to use Ntework Monitor to capture network
traffic, please refer to: