microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

NET Framework SDK 1.1 MSDE Not installing properly

Granoblastic Man

10/25/2003 6:50:00 PM

I was hesitant to post this, as I felt I must've simply been following the
steps incorrectly, but so far, this is what I do:

1) Downloaded sql2kdesksp3.exe, and extracted it.
2) In a console window, I navigated to c:\sql2ksp3\MSDE
3) Typed in the command : Setup.exe /qb+ INSTANCENAME=VSDOTNET
DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1 SAPWD=(password_here)
4) Navigated to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\SDK\v1.1\Samples\Setup
5) Ran ConfigSamples.exe
6) Rebooted...

When the system started back up, I saw the SQL server icon in the tray, but
without the green triangle. Instead it had an empty white circle, and read:
"Not Connected - \\"

I tried manually entering the server name as (local), NetSDK, and even
(local)\NetSDK, but only get the error message:"The network path was not
found."

2 Answers

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

Hello Granoblastic,

couple of things.
First, the instance name is not
(local)\netSDK

or
NetSDK

or
(local)

According to your notes, you named the instance VSDOTNET. So the full name
should be
MACHINENAME\INSTANCENAME

or

machine\VSDOTNET

Remember - replace "machine" with the name of your machine. If you type
this in manually into the SQL Service Manager and connect to it, you will
find joy.

Ok, next thing.
In some cases SQL Service Manager does not show the named instance of MSDE
or SQL Server. You have to manually key it in every time. I don't know why
this happens.

To change this, what you need to do is insure that the SQL Manager knows
about the named instance you want to start or auto-start. This involves
manually changing some things in the Registry.

Warning: always back up your registry before making any modifications!!!

To do this, I think you need to insert a registry key in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\Service Manager

called

with value

machinename\VSDOTNET

or whatever your instance is named. Also insure that

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

has a value named

InstalledInstances

which is set to the short name of your desired instance, eg

VSDOTNET

or whatever the instance name is. This value should not include the machine
name!

Finally, for a sanity check, insure that

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\Your_instance_name

exists, eg,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\VSDOTNET

and it is populated with keys and values. If these keys and values are not
set, then it would appear that the named instance of MSDE 2.0 is not
properly installed. Maybe you need a re-install?

After making these changes and checks, you need to stop and restart "Service
Manager" (eg, sqlmangr.exe, the thing with the red dot or green arrow).
When you restart sqlmangr.exe, your instance name should appear. Select the
checkbox to "autostart" and you are good to go. If Sqlmangr.exe does not
start up, use task manager and check if there are old instances of
sqlmangr.exe still running and forcibly stop them. Then again restart
sqlmangr.exe.

This worked for me.

-Dino

"Granoblastic Man" <gNO_SPAMrano@tNO_SPAMampaNO_SPAMbay.rr.com> wrote in
message news:fBzmb.45420$Go5.657997@twister.tampabay.rr.com...
> I was hesitant to post this, as I felt I must've simply been following the
> steps incorrectly, but so far, this is what I do:
>
> 1) Downloaded sql2kdesksp3.exe, and extracted it.
> 2) In a console window, I navigated to c:\sql2ksp3\MSDE
> 3) Typed in the command : Setup.exe /qb+ INSTANCENAME=VSDOTNET
> DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1 SAPWD=(password_here)
> 4) Navigated to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
> 2003\SDK\v1.1\Samples\Setup
> 5) Ran ConfigSamples.exe
> 6) Rebooted...
>
> When the system started back up, I saw the SQL server icon in the tray,
but
> without the green triangle. Instead it had an empty white circle, and
read:
> "Not Connected - \\"
>
> I tried manually entering the server name as (local), NetSDK, and even
> (local)\NetSDK, but only get the error message:"The network path was not
> found."

Granoblastic Man

"Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]" <dinoch@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Granoblastic,
>
> couple of things.
> First, the instance name is not
> (local)\netSDK
>
> or
> NetSDK
>
> or
> (local)
(snip...)

Hehe, my mistake. To spare my dignity, though, I had installed two instances
(NetSDK and VSDOTNET).

> This worked for me.

And for me too :) Many many thanks.