comp.lang.c

Memories of 9/11

Jimmy

9/11/2011 8:37:00 PM

Hello everyone,

Just a thread for anyone who wants to share memories of 9/11/2001.

I was working in lower Manhattan that day. After we heard the first bang
we were all gathered round the TV. Everyone was paralyzed, struck dumb.
When the second tower was hit, my boss said: "My wife was on the 75th
floor". He started crying softly. It was incomprehension, not anger at
that moment. No one could speak. When I made it home that day to my wife
and boy in Somerville, NJ, we just hugged each other and cried. The cell
phones had been down all day so they had no idea if I was alive or dead.
I remember thinking: "Everything is changed now. For my boy growing up,
the sense of security we took for granted won't exist any more".

Thinking about how Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rove have screwed
everything up since that day just makes the memory even more painful.
There is no god, but still: God Bless America and God Bless President
Obama.

Sincerely,
Jimmy
10 Answers

ec429

On 11/09/11 21:36, Jimmy wrote:
> Just a thread for anyone who wants to share memories of 9/11/2001.
<snip>
> Thinking about how Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rove have screwed
> everything up since that day just makes the memory even more painful.
> There is no god, but still: God Bless America and God Bless President
> Obama.
Perhaps I have an uncharitable mind, but it doesn't seem like you want
to share memories so much as to use them as a political weapon.
I'm no more a supporter of Bush than I am of Obama (that is, none
whatsoever), and I happen to agree with you on the epistemic status of
deities, but nonetheless consider your hijacking of a strong emotion to
support a political position (with only the most tenuous of logic to
connect the two, although it would be no better if you were entirely
accurate) simply vile. (I note in passing that you choose to conceal
your email address.)
Go and make trouble in talk.politics where you clearly belong.

We now return to your regularly scheduled "What's the return type of
main, and should I cast the result of malloc()?".
-E
--
'sane', adj.: see 'unimaginative'
on the web - http://jttlov...

Kenneth Brody

On 9/11/2011 5:43 PM, ec429 wrote:
> On 11/09/11 21:36, Jimmy wrote:
[...]
> Go and make trouble in talk.politics where you clearly belong.
>
> We now return to your regularly scheduled "What's the return type of main,
> and should I cast the result of malloc()?".

Politics? In clc?

"Remember the main()!"

--
Kenneth Brody

gazelle

In article <2didnYIqYbc8j_PTnZ2dnUVZ_tWdnZ2d@bestweb.net>,
Kenneth Brody <kenbrody@spamcop.net> wrote:
>On 9/11/2011 5:43 PM, ec429 wrote:
>> On 11/09/11 21:36, Jimmy wrote:
>[...]
>> Go and make trouble in talk.politics where you clearly belong.
>>
>> We now return to your regularly scheduled "What's the return type of main,
>> and should I cast the result of malloc()?".
>
>Politics? In clc?
>
>"Remember the main()!"
>
>--
>Kenneth Brody

The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().

--
"The anti-regulation business ethos is based on the charmingly naive notion
that people will not do unspeakable things for money." - Dana Carpender

Quoted by Paul Ciszek (pciszek at panix dot com). But what I want to know
is why is this diet/low-carb food author doing making pithy political/economic
statements?

Nevertheless, the above quote is dead-on, because, the thing is - business
in one breath tells us they don't need to be regulated (which is to say:
that they can morally self-regulate), then in the next breath tells us that
corporations are amoral entities which have no obligations to anyone except
their officers and shareholders, then in the next breath they tell us they
don't need to be regulated (that they can morally self-regulate) ...

Andrew T. Packer

ec429 typed...

> On 11/09/11 21:36, Jimmy wrote:
>> Just a thread for anyone who wants to share memories of 9/11/2001.
> <snip>
>> Thinking about how Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rove have screwed
>> everything up since that day just makes the memory even more painful.
>> There is no god, but still: God Bless America and God Bless President
>> Obama.
> Perhaps I have an uncharitable mind, but it doesn't seem like you want
> to share memories so much as to use them as a political weapon. I'm no
> more a supporter of Bush than I am of Obama (that is, none whatsoever),
> and I happen to agree with you on the epistemic status of deities, but
> nonetheless consider your hijacking of a strong emotion to support a
> political position (with only the most tenuous of logic to connect the
> two, although it would be no better if you were entirely accurate)
> simply vile. (I note in passing that you choose to conceal your email
> address.)

I completely agree with this. You've got to remember that the liberals
hate America, and it shows by the contempt they show for 9/11 victims.

President Bush stepped up to the plate when it counted, and he defended
the homeland. If a Democrat had been in office, right now Saddam would be
stockpiling WMD and supplying Al Quaeda to attack the US again. If we'd
had an allegedly Moslem President on 9/11, possibly not even born in the
USA, where would his sympathies have lain?

The world needs America's moral leadership, bringing freedom and democracy
to hostile countries. In 2012 the people of our great nation will once
again elect a President who espouses these great Christian values of our
heritage.

-- ATP

gazelle

In article <pan.2011.09.12.19.49.09@rightthing.invalid>,
Andrew T. Packer <atp1@rightthing.invalid> babbled:
>President Bush stepped up to the plate when it counted, and he defended
>the homeland...

Nice trolling!

An 8.8 on the troll-o-meter.

by the wise as foolish,
and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

lawrence.jones

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:

> The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
> more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
> and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().

So do you also advocate adding made up stuff to history books because
it's more interesting than the usual endless discussions of history?
--
Larry Jones

There's a connection here, I just know it. -- Calvin

gazelle

In article <jl24k8-6b7.ln1@jones.homeip.net>,
<lawrence.jones@siemens.com> wrote:
>Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>>
>> The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
>> more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
>> and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().
>
>So do you also advocate adding made up stuff to history books because
>it's more interesting than the usual endless discussions of history?

Do you still beat your wife?

by the wise as foolish,
and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Oliver Jackson

On Sep 13, 7:28 am, gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
wrote:
> In article <jl24k8-6b7....@jones.homeip.net>,
>
>  <lawrence.jo...@siemens.com> wrote:
> >Kenny McCormack <gaze...@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>
> >> The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
> >> more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
> >> and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().
>
> >So do you also advocate adding made up stuff to history books because
> >it's more interesting than the usual endless discussions of history?
>
> Do you still beat your wife?

Does your brother still wear a dress? Does your sister still make
booze in the bathtub? Does your mom still chase you down the hallway
with her robe flying open?

Rui Maciel

Kenny McCormack wrote:

> The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
> more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
> and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().

I'm sure there are plenty of newsgroups where US politics is on topic. This
isn't one of them.

Rui Maciel

Kenneth Brody

On 9/13/2011 9:33 AM, lawrence.jones@siemens.com wrote:
> Kenny McCormack<gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>>
>> The implication is that politics, while clearly "OT" here, is a good deal
>> more interesting than the usual endless discussions of prototyping main()
>> and why you don't cast the return value of malloc().
>
> So do you also advocate adding made up stuff to history books because
> it's more interesting than the usual endless discussions of history?

I thought they already do that?

--
Kenneth Brody