comp.lang.python

Advanced Python Programming Oxford Lectures [was: Re: *Advanced* Python book?]

Ethan Furman

3/25/2010 12:28:00 PM

Michele Simionato wrote:
> On Jan 16, 9:27 pm, mk <mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>I looked for it I swear, but just can't find it.
>>
>>Most Python books seem to focus on examples of how to call functions
>>from standard library. I don't need that, I have online Python
>>documentation for that.
>>
>>I mean really advanced mental gymnastics, like gory details of how
>>Python objects operate, how to exploit its dynamic capabilities, dos and
>>donts with particular Python objects, advanced tricks, everything from
>>chained decorators to metaprogramming. Dive Into Python comes closest to
>>this ideal from what I have found, but still not far enough.
>>
>>Anybody found such holy grail?
>
> "Expert Python Programming" by Tarek Ziadé is quite good and I wrote
> a review for it:
>
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thr...
>
> There is plenty of info about Advanced Python on the net, much more
> than in book form. Come to think of it, there are my Oxford lectures
> (the title was exactly "Advanced Python Programming") and I could
> republish it on my blog, since I cannot find them on the net anymore.
>
> Michele Simionato

Michele,

Was wondering if you'd had a chance to re-post your lectures -- just did
a search for them and came up empty, and I would love to read them!

Many thanks in advance!

~Ethan~
3 Answers

Michele Simionato

On Mar 25, 1:28 pm, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> Michele,
>
> Was wondering if you'd had a chance to re-post your lectures -- just did
> a search for them and came up empty, and I would love to read them!
>
> Many thanks in advance!

Oops, I forgot! I will try to make them available soon.

Michele Simionato

On Mar 25, 2:24 pm, Michele Simionato <michele.simion...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 25, 1:28 pm, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>

> > Michele,
>
> > Was wondering if you'd had a chance to re-post your lectures -- just did
> > a search for them and came up empty, and I would love to read them!
>
> > Many thanks in advance!
>
> Oops, I forgot! I will try to make them available soon.

Here they are: http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles/oxford-le...

Lacrima

On Mar 26, 10:22 am, Michele Simionato <michele.simion...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2:24 pm, Michele Simionato <michele.simion...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 25, 1:28 pm, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>
> > > Michele,
>
> > > Was wondering if you'd had a chance to re-post your lectures -- just did
> > > a search for them and came up empty, and I would love to read them!
>
> > > Many thanks in advance!
>
> > Oops, I forgot! I will try to make them available soon.
>
> Here they are:http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles/oxford-le...

Hello, Michele!
Thanks a lot for posting!!!