comp.lang.c

G33|<^^^^^W1zard'5 Lam3n+

mimus

9/8/2011 8:57:00 PM

How many more times will I have to knock up a quick hexdump utility in
my life? how many? huh? huh?

--

It's a curse!
8 Answers

%

mimus wrote:
> How many more times will I have to knock up a quick hexdump utility in
> my life? how many? huh? huh?

only until the last time

Nick Keighley

On Sep 8, 9:56 pm, mimus <mimu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How many more times will I have to knock up a quick hexdump utility in
> my life? how many? huh? huh?

why don't you use the one you wrote last time?

mimus

On Sep 9, 5:14 am, Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nos...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sep 8, 9:56 pm, mimus <mimu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How many more times will I have to knock up a quick hexdump utility in
> > my life? how many? huh? huh?
>
> why don't you use the one you wrote last time?

Um. The one I wrote last time was for (Ubuntu) Linux, this is Win7
<spit>.

The one before that was Win98 (OK after serious strip-down of
residential processes and avoiding IE and OE like the plague and
defragging regularly and using ZoneAlarm).

And the two before that were C64 (one in Commodore Basic, one in
Spinnaker C).

And I may've done one for the TI-99/4A (don't remember, but I was
playing pretty hard with both its Basic and that godawful line-by-line
assembler cartridge).

Only takes me about five minutes of mumbling to myself in C, but
still--!

--

All that to find out my bug was that I was opening a text file as
binary

James Kuyper

On 09/09/2011 11:19 AM, mimus wrote:
> On Sep 9, 5:14 am, Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nos...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 8, 9:56 pm, mimus <mimu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How many more times will I have to knock up a quick hexdump utility in
>>> my life? how many? huh? huh?
>>
>> why don't you use the one you wrote last time?
>
> Um. The one I wrote last time was for (Ubuntu) Linux, this is Win7
> <spit>.

You wrote a hexdump utility for Linux? I'd recommend using 'od' rather
than bothering to write your own.

> The one before that was Win98 (OK after serious strip-down of
> residential processes and avoiding IE and OE like the plague and
> defragging regularly and using ZoneAlarm).
>
> And the two before that were C64 (one in Commodore Basic, one in
> Spinnaker C).
>
> And I may've done one for the TI-99/4A (don't remember, but I was
> playing pretty hard with both its Basic and that godawful line-by-line
> assembler cartridge).
>
> Only takes me about five minutes of mumbling to myself in C, but
> still--!

Maybe "hexdump utility" carries some extra meaning for you that it
doesn't have for me. To me it seems trivial to write such a utility so
that it would be portable to most hosted implementations of C. What was
unportable about your utilities?

mimus

On Sep 9, 11:42 am, James Kuyper <jameskuy...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 09/09/2011 11:19 AM, mimus wrote:
>
> > On Sep 9, 5:14 am, Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nos...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> why don't you use the one you wrote last time?
>
> > Um. The one I wrote last time was for (Ubuntu) Linux, this is Win7
> > <spit>.
>
> You wrote a hexdump utility for Linux? I'd recommend using 'od' rather
> than bothering to write your own.

<mildly:>

I like writing my own. Makes it easier to customize.

> > The one before that was Win98 (OK after serious strip-down of
> > residential processes and avoiding IE and OE like the plague and
> > defragging regularly and using ZoneAlarm).
>
> > And the two before that were C64 (one in Commodore Basic, one in
> > Spinnaker C).
>
> > And I may've done one for the TI-99/4A (don't remember, but I was
> > playing pretty hard with both its Basic and that godawful line-by-line
> > assembler cartridge).
>
> > Only takes me about five minutes of mumbling to myself in C, but
> > still--!
>
> Maybe "hexdump utility" carries some extra meaning for you that it
> doesn't have for me. To me it seems trivial to write such a utility so
> that it would be portable to most hosted implementations of C. What was
> unportable about your utilities?

Eh, well, writing a hexdump proggie is a trivial exercise, too.

Inshallah.

--

It's all just bricks in the wall.

James Kuyper

On 09/09/2011 11:56 AM, mimus wrote:
> On Sep 9, 11:42 am, James Kuyper <jameskuy...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Maybe "hexdump utility" carries some extra meaning for you that it
>> doesn't have for me. To me it seems trivial to write such a utility so
>> that it would be portable to most hosted implementations of C. What was
>> unportable about your utilities?
>
> Eh, well, writing a hexdump proggie is a trivial exercise, too.

It's trivial - and you're complaining about it? Not a good way to earn
sympathy.

Keith Thompson

James Kuyper <jameskuyper@verizon.net> writes:
> On 09/09/2011 11:56 AM, mimus wrote:
>> On Sep 9, 11:42 am, James Kuyper <jameskuy...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Maybe "hexdump utility" carries some extra meaning for you that it
>>> doesn't have for me. To me it seems trivial to write such a utility so
>>> that it would be portable to most hosted implementations of C. What was
>>> unportable about your utilities?
>>
>> Eh, well, writing a hexdump proggie is a trivial exercise, too.
>
> It's trivial - and you're complaining about it? Not a good way to earn
> sympathy.

Perhaps it is on alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.ne...

Eric Sosman

On 9/9/2011 11:56 AM, mimus wrote:
> On Sep 9, 11:42 am, James Kuyper<jameskuy...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 09/09/2011 11:19 AM, mimus wrote:

>> [...]
> I like writing my own. Makes it easier to customize.

Seems you've answered your own question.

--
Eric Sosman
esosman@ieee-dot-org.invalid