comp.lang.python

Re: individually updating unicodedata db?

MRAB

3/23/2010 1:27:00 AM

Vlastimil Brom wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just tried to find some information about the unicodedata database
> and the possibilities of updating it to the latest version of the
> unicode standards (currently 5.2, while python supports 5.1 in the
> latest versions).
> An option to update this database individually might be useful as the
> unicode standard updates seem to be more frequent than the official
> python releases (and not every release is updated to the latest
> available unicode db version either).
> Am I right, that this is not possible without recompiling python from source?
> I eventually found the promissing file
> ...Python-src--2.6.5\Python-2.6.5\Tools\unicode\makeunicodedata.py
> which required the following files from the unicode database to be in
> the same folder:
> EastAsianWidth-3.2.0.txt
> UnicodeData-3.2.0.txt
> CompositionExclusions-3.2.0.txt
> UnicodeData.txt
> EastAsianWidth.txt
> CompositionExclusions.txt
>
> and also
> Modules/unicodedata_db.h
> Modules/unicodename_db.h,
> Objects/unicodetype_db.h
>
> After a minor correction - addig the missing "import re" - the script
> was able to run and recreate the above h files.
> I guess, I am stuck here, as I use the precompiled version supplied in
> the windows installer and can't compile python from source to obtain
> the needed unicodedata.pyd.
> Or are there any possibilities I missed to individually upgrade the
> unicodedata databese? (Using Python 2.6.5, Win XPh SP3)
>
> Thanks in advance for any hints,
> vbr

From the look of it the Unicode data is compiled into the DLL, but I
don't see any reason, other than speed, why preprocessed data couldn't
be read from a file at startup by the DLL, provided that the format
hasn't changed, eg new fields added, without affecting the DLL's
interface to the rest of Python.