comp.lang.python

Clearing memory (namespace) before running code

vsoler

Is there a way to erase/delete/clear memory before a piece of code is
run?

Otherwise, the objects of the previous run are re-usable, and may
bring confusion to the tester.

Thank you
2 Answers

Steve Holden

vsoler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to erase/delete/clear memory before a piece of code is
> run?
>
> Otherwise, the objects of the previous run are re-usable, and may
> bring confusion to the tester.
>
> Thank you

You mean clear a *namespace*?

That might be possible if you have access to the specific module whose
namespace you want to clear.

I presume this is related to earlier questions about reloading modules?
This is yet another reason why you might want to consider running each
module in its own process each time the user submits it.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010 http://pyco...

Jon Clements

On 21 Mar, 15:02, vsoler <vicente.so...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to erase/delete/clear memory before a piece of code is
> run?
>
> Otherwise, the objects of the previous run are re-usable, and may
> bring confusion to the tester.
>
> Thank you

I'm guessing you're using some sort of IDE?

For instance, in IDLE if the [Python Shell] window is not closed, the
session is kept. However, there is a menu option 'Shell' which has
'Restart Shell'. If you don't see a 'Shell' menu option, then make
sure IDLE isn't being started with the -n option.

However I would have thought the 'tester' would be running from a
terminal/command line/double click jobby, so that a single Python
session is executed and just runs -- rather than want to use it
interactively afterwards.

hth

Jon.