comp.lang.c

flash / rich internet applications

dr.oktopus

8/25/2011 6:58:00 PM

Hello,
I was wondering if it is possible to code/translate C programs
(perhaps designed
with a proper API) to flash/javascript applications, since I really
hate actionscript
syntax. I think that since C compilers to java bytecode are available,
something
could be written for this.
Tell me what you think.
Bye,
willy
6 Answers

Seebs

On 2011-08-25, dr.oktopus <blindwilly@freeonline.zzn.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if it is possible to code/translate C programs
> (perhaps designed
> with a proper API) to flash/javascript applications, since I really
> hate actionscript
> syntax. I think that since C compilers to java bytecode are available,
> something
> could be written for this.
> Tell me what you think.

I think this would be a gigantic waste of time. C is not the right language
for that *kind* of thing. Use the right tool for the job, not your favorite
tool.

-s
--
Copyright 2011, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam@seebs.net
http://www.seeb... <-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictures

dan

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:57:45 -0700, dr.oktopus wrote:

> Hello,
> I was wondering if it is possible to code/translate C programs (perhaps
> designed with a proper API) to flash/javascript applications, since I
> really hate actionscript syntax. I think that since C compilers to java
> bytecode are available,
> something could be written for this.
> Tell me what you think.
> Bye,
> willy

There's a fairly robust javascript backend for llvm, you could use this
with clang, or the llvm gcc plugin.

http://syntensity.blogspot.com/2010/08/emscr...

Bartc

"dr.oktopus" <blindwilly@freeonline.zzn.com> wrote in message

> I was wondering if it is possible to code/translate C programs
> (perhaps designed
> with a proper API) to flash/javascript applications, since I really
> hate actionscript
> syntax. I think that since C compilers to java bytecode are available,
> something
> could be written for this.

I used to hate C syntax, and spent some time creating different syntax
'front-ends' to it. It didn't work; the different syntax begged to be
developed into it's own language.

In the end it was easier to just write C code as needed (which also solves a
few other problems such as sharing or distributing source code).

How much Actionscript have you written? Because you might get used to it's
syntax after a few days. (And to me it looks pretty much like C or C++
anyway, it is not hugely different...)

--
Bartc

cr88192

On 8/25/2011 11:57 AM, dr.oktopus wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if it is possible to code/translate C programs
> (perhaps designed
> with a proper API) to flash/javascript applications, since I really
> hate actionscript
> syntax. I think that since C compilers to java bytecode are available,
> something
> could be written for this.
> Tell me what you think.
> Bye,
> willy

check Adobe, I think they actually have a C to Flash compiler somewhere.
they had demoed it by showing a version of Quake they had ported to
Flash, and I also think I remember it being mentioned on Wikipedia
somewhere as well.

however, IMO, once one gets used to the funky looking definitions, the
ActionScript syntax really isn't all that bad.

cr88192

On 8/26/2011 3:54 AM, BGB wrote:
> On 8/25/2011 11:57 AM, dr.oktopus wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I was wondering if it is possible to code/translate C programs
>> (perhaps designed
>> with a proper API) to flash/javascript applications, since I really
>> hate actionscript
>> syntax. I think that since C compilers to java bytecode are available,
>> something
>> could be written for this.
>> Tell me what you think.
>> Bye,
>> willy
>
> check Adobe, I think they actually have a C to Flash compiler somewhere.
> they had demoed it by showing a version of Quake they had ported to
> Flash, and I also think I remember it being mentioned on Wikipedia
> somewhere as well.

quick look ("C to Flash compiler" in Google) turned up this:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologie...

> however, IMO, once one gets used to the funky looking definitions, the
> ActionScript syntax really isn't all that bad.

dr.oktopus

Thanks