comp.lang.c

What happened to some regulars?

santosh

8/20/2011 1:31:00 PM

Revisiting after quite a long while, I find both CBFalconer and
Richard Heathfield conspicuous by their absence. Does anyone have any
information on why they're no longer participating in this group?

Does this obit pertain to the 'CBFalconer' who used to post here? His
webpage is also down, as is Heathfield's. Has anyone contacted either
of them recently?
8 Answers

santosh

santosh wrote:
> Revisiting after quite a long while, I find both CBFalconer and
> Richard Heathfield conspicuous by their absence. Does anyone have any
> information on why they're no longer participating in this group?
>
> Does this obit pertain to the 'CBFalconer' who used to post here? His
> webpage is also down, as is Heathfield's. Has anyone contacted either
> of them recently?

Well the link I should have pasted in the parent:

<http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-Falconer-87...

cri

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 06:34:32 -0700 (PDT), santosh
<santosh.k83@gmail.com> wrote:

>santosh wrote:
>> Revisiting after quite a long while, I find both CBFalconer and
>> Richard Heathfield conspicuous by their absence. Does anyone have any
>> information on why they're no longer participating in this group?
>>
>> Does this obit pertain to the 'CBFalconer' who used to post here? His
>> webpage is also down, as is Heathfield's. Has anyone contacted either
>> of them recently?
>
>Well the link I should have pasted in the parent:
>
><http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-Falconer-87...

I'm not sure but I don't think that is the same CBF. He retired from
usenet participation 4-5 years ago IIRC. My impression is that he
live(s/d) in New England. Heathfield retired from clc a year or two
later. My impression is that he was refocusing on British politics.
Sorry, no more information than that.

Phil Carmody

santosh <santosh.k83@gmail.com> writes:
> santosh wrote:
> > Revisiting after quite a long while, I find both CBFalconer and
> > Richard Heathfield conspicuous by their absence. Does anyone have any
> > information on why they're no longer participating in this group?
> >
> > Does this obit pertain to the 'CBFalconer' who used to post here? His
> > webpage is also down, as is Heathfield's. Has anyone contacted either
> > of them recently?
>
> Well the link I should have pasted in the parent:
>
> <http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-Falconer-87...

Charles did stop posting about mid-2009, so it's possible.
His posts didn't leave enough breadcrumbs to lead back to OK,
I'm not sure if he ever owned up to where he resided.

Phil
--
Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious
belief has a cozy little classification in the DSM.

santosh

Phil Carmody wrote:
> santosh <santosh.k83@gmail.com> writes:
> > santosh wrote:
> > > Revisiting after quite a long while, I find both CBFalconer and
> > > Richard Heathfield conspicuous by their absence. Does anyone have any
> > > information on why they're no longer participating in this group?
> > >
> > > Does this obit pertain to the 'CBFalconer' who used to post here? His
> > > webpage is also down, as is Heathfield's. Has anyone contacted either
> > > of them recently?
> >
> > Well the link I should have pasted in the parent:
> >
> > <http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-Falconer-87...
>
> Charles did stop posting about mid-2009, so it's possible.
> His posts didn't leave enough breadcrumbs to lead back to OK,
> I'm not sure if he ever owned up to where he resided.
>
> Phil

Well I should've done a bit more Googling before posting the link. As
it turns out, CBFalconer *has* provided contact details and address:

From: http://pipl.com/directory/name/Fa...
Charles B. Falconer. 680 Hartford Tpk., Hamden, CT 06517 Phone: (203)
288-9136 ... Interesting Position developing software and/or embedded
systems. ... [ cbfalconer.home.att.net ]

From his former homepage I'd guess. The obit concerns a different
person altogether. The Wayback Machine seems to indicate his site was
last online till early 2009.

<http://wayback.archiv...*/http://cbfalconer.home.at...

santosh

Richard Harter wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 06:34:32 -0700 (PDT), santosh
> <santosh.k83@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >santosh wrote:
> >> Revisiting after quite a long while, I find both CBFalconer and
> >> Richard Heathfield conspicuous by their absence. Does anyone have any
> >> information on why they're no longer participating in this group?
> >>
> >> Does this obit pertain to the 'CBFalconer' who used to post here? His
> >> webpage is also down, as is Heathfield's. Has anyone contacted either
> >> of them recently?
> >
> >Well the link I should have pasted in the parent:
> >
> ><http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-Falconer-87...
>
> I'm not sure but I don't think that is the same CBF.

I posted that in haste. A bit more searching showed that it was
concerning someone else.

> He retired from
> usenet participation 4-5 years ago IIRC. My impression is that he
> live(s/d) in New England.

Yes! The Wayback Machine still has snapshots of his old site, the last
one dating back to March 2009.
<http://wayback.archiv...*/http://cbfalconer.home.at...

> Heathfield retired from clc a year or two
> later. My impression is that he was refocusing on British politics.
> Sorry, no more information than that.

Good to know that about Heathfield though. Thanks anyway.

gazelle

In article <24a59442-c0b8-4253-9304-e83491aaa464@r40g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
santosh <santosh.k83@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Heathfield retired from clc a year or two
>> later. My impression is that he was refocusing on British politics.
>> Sorry, no more information than that.
>
>Good to know that about Heathfield though. Thanks anyway.

Yes, because the British political, economic, and social structure hasn't
suffered enough.

William Ahern

Richard Harter <cri@tiac.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 06:34:32 -0700 (PDT), santosh
> <santosh.k83@gmail.com> wrote:

> >santosh wrote:
> >> Revisiting after quite a long while, I find both CBFalconer and
> >> Richard Heathfield conspicuous by their absence. Does anyone have any
> >> information on why they're no longer participating in this group?
> >>
> >> Does this obit pertain to the 'CBFalconer' who used to post here? His
> >> webpage is also down, as is Heathfield's. Has anyone contacted either
> >> of them recently?
> >
> >Well the link I should have pasted in the parent:
> >
> ><http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-Falconer-87...

> I'm not sure but I don't think that is the same CBF. He retired from
> usenet participation 4-5 years ago IIRC. My impression is that he
> live(s/d) in New England. Heathfield retired from clc a year or two
> later. My impression is that he was refocusing on British politics.
> Sorry, no more information than that.

Possibly Maine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080522130855/http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/cbf/cb...

Charles Richmond

On 8/20/11 11:10 AM, William Ahern wrote:
> Richard Harter<cri@tiac.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 06:34:32 -0700 (PDT), santosh
>> <santosh.k83@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well the link I should have pasted in the parent:
>>>
>>> <http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-Falconer-87...
>
>> I'm not sure but I don't think that is the same CBF. He retired from
>> usenet participation 4-5 years ago IIRC. My impression is that he
>> live(s/d) in New England. Heathfield retired from clc a year or two
>> later. My impression is that he was refocusing on British politics.
>> Sorry, no more information than that.
>
> Possibly Maine:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20080522130855/http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/cbf/cb...

The last I heard Falconer was living near his daughter in Maine.
He has grandkids, so that should be sufficient motivation.

| Charles and Francis Richmond |
| |
| plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com |