comp.lang.python

Understanding the CPython dict implementation

Terry Reedy

3/14/2010 11:40:00 PM

I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent:
The Mighty Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
http://pycon.blip.tv/fil...

Even knowing Python for over a decade, I learned a few things.

Terry Jan Reedy

6 Answers

John Nagle

Terry Reedy wrote:
> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent:
> The Mighty Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
> http://pycon.blip.tv/fil...
>
> Even knowing Python for over a decade, I learned a few things.
>
> Terry Jan Reedy

Is this available as a paper?

John Nagle

Alex Willmer

On Mar 15, 4:06 am, John Nagle <na...@animats.com> wrote:
>     Is this available as a paper?
>
>                                 John Nagle

It doesn't wppear to be, slides are here:

http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/schedule...

Alex

Steven D'Aprano

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
> http://pycon.blip.tv/fil...

Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox. When I
downloaded the ogv file, it crashed MPlayer and Kaffeine. Before
crashing, in all four players, it displayed random blocks of colours and
lines while the sound played.

Not a good advertisement for either BlipTV or Ogg :(

--
Steven

Michiel Overtoom

On 16 Mar 2010, at 12:46 , Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
>> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
>> http://pycon.blip.tv/fil...
>

> Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
> crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox. When I
> downloaded the ogv file, it crashed MPlayer and Kaffeine.

It played in VLC without problems.

Greetings,

Terry Reedy

On 3/16/2010 7:46 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
>> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.

Sorry,
http://pycon.blip.tv/fil...

which plays fine in FF3.6 on windows

>> http://pycon.blip.tv/fil...

wrong file number

> Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
> crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox.

The flash version does not work for me. This is true of about 1/3 of the
Pycon 2010 videos that I have tried. The .ogv version of this and all
others that I have tried (hit Download under Comments) plays fine within
FF3.6 on my windows xp machine. Perhaps there is a linux-specific bug,
if that is what you are running under.

Terry Jan Reedy

Steven D'Aprano

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:04:22 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:39:46 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>
>>> I found this PyCon2010 presentation to be excellent: The Mighty
>>> Dictionary, Branden Craig Rhodes, 30 min.
>
> Sorry,
> http://pycon.blip.tv/fil...
>
> which plays fine in FF3.6 on windows
>

>>> http://pycon.blip.tv/fil...
>
> wrong file number
>
>> Unfortunately, that clip seems to be unwatchable, at least for me. It
>> crashed the Netscape plugin in Konqueror, and crashed Firefox.
>
> The flash version does not work for me. This is true of about 1/3 of the
> Pycon 2010 videos that I have tried. The .ogv version of this and all
> others that I have tried (hit Download under Comments) plays fine within
> FF3.6 on my windows xp machine. Perhaps there is a linux-specific bug,
> if that is what you are running under.

Amusingly, the FLV files play perfectly for me under Linux, while the OGV
files don't :)

Thanks for the links, the videos are very interesting.

--
Steven