comp.lang.c

Too bad this group is gone

Barry

8/7/2011 4:56:00 AM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 23:55:54 -0500, "BarryG" <barryg2@peoplepc.com>

> On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 23:55:54 -0500, "BarryG" <barryg2@peoplepc.com>
> wrote:
>
>>#include <stdlib.h>
>>
>>int main void()
>>{
>> return EXIT_FAILURE;
>>}
>
> What hsppened to it?

My WAG is that Java happened to it. One could look at the language books
in several college bookstores and get an idea as to whether my guess has any
merit. We had better nourish Bill Cunningham, he is all we have left.

jacob navia

Le 07/08/11 06:55, BarryG a écrit :
> #include<stdlib.h>
>
> int main void()
> {
> return EXIT_FAILURE;
> }

I have contributed a compiler and a development environment that I
distribute for free in the C community and I have been trying to promote
discussion in this group for several years.

My idea is hat a simple language is not necessarily a bad language, to
the contrary. It is the better language exactly because of its
simplicity.

Things shouldn't be too simple however, and I have been proposing here
and in comp.std.c enhancements and modifications to the C language.

The last one is a system I have been developing for over a year that
proposes a CCL: C Containers library, that is essentially inspired
from the STL of C++.

I have posted a message about it recently (Aug 3thrd) and received
exactly zero answers. Maybe because of the holidays, or just because
there are no C developers in this group.

All the code is available at http://code.google.... but almost
nobody in this group wants to take notice of it since technical
discussions are banned here.

Or it is simply (as you say) that this group has disappeared.

James Kuyper

On 08/07/2011 05:13 PM, osmium wrote:
> "Richard Harter" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 23:55:54 -0500, "BarryG" <barryg2@peoplepc.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> #include <stdlib.h>
>>>
>>> int main void()
>>> {
>>> return EXIT_FAILURE;
>>> }
>>
>> What hsppened to it?
>
> My WAG is that Java happened to it. One could look at the language books
> in several college bookstores and get an idea as to whether my guess has any
> merit. We had better nourish Bill Cunningham, he is all we have left.

According to Google Groups:
<https://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/about...
this group hit a peak of 7444 messages per month in October 1997, and
has slowly but erratically gone downhill since then. Key point:
"slowly". As recently as June, there were 2069 messages posted in a
single month. Don't pay too much attention to the July and August
numbers; something has been going wrong with Google Groups for the past
several weeks.

It's not clear which Java newsgroup would be the most appropriate
comparison. The most active usenet newsgroup I could find devoted to
Java is comp.lang.java.programming:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/about...
Their peak was 9471 messages in March 2001, and they've been dropping
off, too. If anything, their numbers seem to have dropped off further
than ours.

Google Groups is, of course, very flaky, so take all of these numbers
with LARGE grain of salt.
--
James Kuyper

August Karlstrom

On 2011-08-08 00:16, jacob navia wrote:
> My idea is hat a simple language is not necessarily a bad language, to
> the contrary. It is the better language exactly because of its
> simplicity.

When the sheer length of the language definition is taken into
consideration the language does not appear to be so simple. It is
certainly longer than Oberon's 16 pages (to compare with another
procedural language).

/August

--
The competent programmer is fully aware of the limited size of his own
skull. He therefore approaches his task with full humility, and avoids

jacob navia

Le 08/08/11 00:40, August Karlstrom a écrit :
> On 2011-08-08 00:16, jacob navia wrote:
>> My idea is hat a simple language is not necessarily a bad language, to
>> the contrary. It is the better language exactly because of its
>> simplicity.
>
> When the sheer length of the language definition is taken into
> consideration the language does not appear to be so simple. It is
> certainly longer than Oberon's 16 pages (to compare with another
> procedural language).
>

> /August

Does those 16 pages include all the standard library?

No?

Ahh OK.

Jens Gustedt

Am 08/07/2011 06:55 AM, schrieb BarryG:
> int main void()

oh!

my guess is that first of all news groups are slowly phasing out. If you
have a concrete question about C, you are probably better served by a
site that is moderated and has some simple rules, such as stackoverflow.

But then, this group also has a particular bad culture. Most
discussionsn become polemic about nothing and there are some egos that
dominate everything. I only follow it for some weeks now, scary.

Jens

Ben Bacarisse

jacob navia <jacob@spamsink.net> writes:

> Le 08/08/11 00:40, August Karlstrom a écrit :
>> On 2011-08-08 00:16, jacob navia wrote:
>>> My idea is hat a simple language is not necessarily a bad language, to
>>> the contrary. It is the better language exactly because of its
>>> simplicity.
>>
>> When the sheer length of the language definition is taken into
>> consideration the language does not appear to be so simple. It is
>> certainly longer than Oberon's 16 pages (to compare with another
>> procedural language).
<snip>
> Does those 16 pages include all the standard library?
>
> No?
>
> Ahh OK.

If you skip the 19 pages of introductory material and remove the
description of the library and all the annexes, C's definition is still
156 pages. I don't know if this measure is at all useful, but that's
still a factor of 10.

--
Ben.

Rui Maciel

Jens Gustedt wrote:

> Am 08/07/2011 06:55 AM, schrieb BarryG:
>> int main void()
>
> oh!
>
> my guess is that first of all news groups are slowly phasing out. If you
> have a concrete question about C, you are probably better served by a
> site that is moderated and has some simple rules, such as stackoverflow.

sites such as stack overflow are only any good to those who aren't able to
think for themselves and therefore require a herd, who some members are even
more clueless than the poster, to pick an answer to their questions.
Meanwhile, searching usenet's backlog returns more valuable results than
that, and it has been this way for decades.

> But then, this group also has a particular bad culture. Most
> discussionsn become polemic about nothing and there are some egos that
> dominate everything. I only follow it for some weeks now, scary.

If you believe that the usenet's intrinsic value relies on the traffic
generated in a couple of weeks then you are oblivious to the tool which you
have been using. Pairing usenet with a search engine is the best expert
system that humanity ever devised, and it makes it an invaluable tool to
anyone who has any interest in any subject which is covered in any
newsgroup.

Rui Maciel