comp.lang.c

Chris Torek

CrazyBoB

7/26/2011 6:58:00 AM

Wow! I just found a post from Chris Torek from 1985! I think it was
from an old FIDO posting...neat-o anyway...
18 Answers

Seebs

On 2011-07-26, CrazyBoB <NoWay@GoAway.net> wrote:
> Wow! I just found a post from Chris Torek from 1985! I think it was
> from an old FIDO posting...neat-o anyway...

1985? Wow. That's a ways back. I don't think I encountered him on
Usenet until '88 or so. (Trivia point: He's now one of my coworkers;
we do compiler/toolchain stuff mostly.)

-s
--
Copyright 2011, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam@seebs.net
http://www.seeb... <-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictures

Uno

On 07/26/2011 12:57 AM, CrazyBoB wrote:
> Wow! I just found a post from Chris Torek from 1985! I think it was from
> an old FIDO posting...neat-o anyway...

Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

Salt Laka City is a small world, and one snowy day I'm gonna bump into
him as we're both grabbing a coffee to go. I'll recognize him by the
coffee stains on his book _File Systems for Starfleet_.
--
Uno

Todd Carnes

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:

> Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
> I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/inde...

Todd :)

jt

Todd Carnes <toddcarnes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Weld, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:

> > Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
> > I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

> Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
> this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/inde...

Yes, that's him. He used to post here until two or three
years ago and each and every posting was very useful and
helpful - I think all regulars agreed on that (something
not happening too often;-) And his "tutorial" at

http://67.40.109.61/torek/c/...

is still very worth reading and understanding. It's a pity
and a loss for this group that he stopped posting here...

Regards, Jens
\__________________________ http://t...

J. J. Farrell

Todd Carnes wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:
>
>> Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
>> I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.
>
> Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
> this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/inde...

Never heard of Chris Torek? The end of the world is nigh ...

Seebs

On 2011-07-28, Todd Carnes <toddcarnes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:
>> Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
>> I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

> Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
> this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/inde...

That would be him, yeah. He used to post here more, back when he was
at BSDi, or Berkeley before that. I worked at BSDi for a while, and nowadays
we're both in Wind River's Linux group, doing various toolchain and build
system stuff.

Basically, if you use WR Linux, and you think the compiler is wrong, I'm
the guy whose job is to make you not feel bad about finding out your code
was at fault. :P (Actually, the compiler is sometimes wrong.)

-s
--

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:48:09 +0100, J. J. Farrell wrote:

> Never heard of Chris Torek? The end of the world is nigh ...

LOL!

thomas.mertes

On 28 Jul., 21:04, j...@toerring.de (Jens Thoms Toerring) wrote:
> Todd Carnes <toddcar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Weld, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:
> > > Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
> > > I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.
> > Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
> > this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/inde...
>
> Yes, that's him. He used to post here until two or three
> years ago and each and every posting was very useful and
> helpful - I think all regulars agreed on that (something
> not happening too often;-) And his "tutorial" at
>
> http://67.40.109.61/torek/c/...

I find this statements interesting:

Standard C is quite limited. It has no networking, no
graphics, no mouse support; it cannot start processes,
print to printers, and so on.

He distinguish between standard language + standard libraries
and other, maybe nonportable, libraries. What is granted
(standard language + standard libraries) and what may be
available on your OS or with your IDE are different things.

For portable programs granted things are much more important,
than other libraries which may or may not be available under
another OS or compiler.

Greetings Thomas Mertes

--
Seed7 Homepage: http://seed7.sourc...

Chad

On Jul 28, 12:48 pm, "J. J. Farrell" <j...@bcs.org.uk> wrote:
> Todd Carnes wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:
>
> >> Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
> >> I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.
>
> > Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
> > this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/inde...
>
> Never heard of Chris Torek? The end of the world is nigh ...

Reading a typical Chris Torek response is kind of like when my ex
girlfriend talked about menstrual her cycle. It just kind of goes over
my head after the first minute.

Eric Sosman

On 8/1/2011 3:22 PM, Chad wrote:
> On Jul 28, 12:48 pm, "J. J. Farrell"<j...@bcs.org.uk> wrote:
>> Todd Carnes wrote:

>>> Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
>>> this site is the same one...<http://67.40.109.61/torek/inde...
>>
>> Never heard of Chris Torek? The end of the world is nigh ...
>
> Reading a typical Chris Torek response is kind of like when my ex
> girlfriend talked about menstrual her cycle. It just kind of goes over
> my head after the first minute.

Your head probably deserved it. <plonk>

--
Eric Sosman