comp.lang.java.programmer

Re: Is it necessary to have both an application server AND a web server?

Qu0ll

6/15/2016 8:58:00 PM

On 11/06/2016 08:48, Qu0ll wrote:
> DISCLAIMER: Server-side Java is not my forte.
>
> I have often noticed that in many places where I have worked, the
> companies have both a full application server such as JBoss/Wildfly AND
> a web server (typically Apache) installed and both seem to work together.
>
> 1) Is this necessary and if so, why?
> 2) What does a web server "provide" that an application server doesn't?
> 3) What is the nature of the relationship or interaction between both
> applications?

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question in such a helpful manner.

It seems clear that there are distinct reasons to have both a dedicated
web server and application server as part of your infrastructure.

It seems though that nginx may be a more modern alternative to httpd but
I will need to do more research to decide which is better for my precise
needs.

--

And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)