comp.lang.java.programmer

HTTP/2 stole my Applet

Richard Maher

6/17/2016 8:57:00 AM

For those of you who've been following on along at home all these years,
and may have a passing interest in what I was talking about, you can
find the source-code for my Applet at
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7Rmd3Rn8_hDY0RkbWwtVV9DdDg&u...

For those of you who are new, my Applet facilitated the following
UA/Browser<->Application Server functionality: -

- Single-Signon without session-hijackable cookie bollocks?

- Single, persistent network connection across multiple active tabs in a

browser instance?

- Full-on synchronous of asynchronous I/O capability?

- 1:M relationship between messages sent to received?

- Retention of server-affinity if/when needed?

- Run-time discovery of Application Servers

- Takes up 0px by 0px GUI real estate

- Dependency injection on the Handshake/authentication logic

- and much much more . . .

Anyway, I may be the last person on the planet to admit Applets are dead
but I'm sure I'm not the only one who shed a tear at their passing.

For the Javascript people this is how Tier3Client was instantiated: -

try {
t3Client = new Tier3Client(
"Demo", "http://192.168.1.159/Appl...,
2048, 1022, kickOff, epicFail, "ISO-8859-1",
"N", Tier3Client.GUIAWT,
null,Tier3Client.WARNING);
} catch (err){
alert((err.description||err.message));
throw err;
}

This example can be found in Randomator.html and the object code can be
found in Tier3Client.js.

Cheers Richard Maher

PS. If anyone knows a half decent lawyer who operates on contingency
fees please send him my way. HTTP/2 has a lot more than persistent,
multiplexed, TCP/IP connections but I can tell you that that the
similarity of algorithms involved is far greater and more substantial
than the first few bars of "Stairway to Heaven"!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canad...
3 Answers

VAXman-

In article <nk0e09$1a68$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Richard Maher <maher_rjSPAMLESS@hotmail.com> writes:
>For those of you who've been following on along at home all these years,
>and may have a passing interest in what I was talking about, you can
>find the source-code for my Applet at
>https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7Rmd3Rn8_hDY0RkbWwtVV9DdDg&u...
>

>For those of you who are new, my Applet facilitated the following
>UA/Browser<->Application Server functionality: -
>
>- Single-Signon without session-hijackable cookie bollocks?
>
>- Single, persistent network connection across multiple active tabs in a
>
>browser instance?
>
>- Full-on synchronous of asynchronous I/O capability?
>
>- 1:M relationship between messages sent to received?
>
>- Retention of server-affinity if/when needed?
>
>- Run-time discovery of Application Servers
>
>- Takes up 0px by 0px GUI real estate
>
>- Dependency injection on the Handshake/authentication logic
>
>- and much much more . . .
>
>Anyway, I may be the last person on the planet to admit Applets are dead
>but I'm sure I'm not the only one who shed a tear at their passing.
>
>For the Javascript people this is how Tier3Client was instantiated: -
>
> try {
> t3Client = new Tier3Client(
> "Demo", "http://192.168.1.159/Appl...,
> 2048, 1022, kickOff, epicFail, "ISO-8859-1",
>"N", Tier3Client.GUIAWT,
> null,Tier3Client.WARNING);
> } catch (err){
> alert((err.description||err.message));
> throw err;
> }
>
>This example can be found in Randomator.html and the object code can be
>found in Tier3Client.js.
>
>Cheers Richard Maher
>
>PS. If anyone knows a half decent lawyer who operates on contingency
>fees please send him my way. HTTP/2 has a lot more than persistent,
>multiplexed, TCP/IP connections but I can tell you that that the
>similarity of algorithms involved is far greater and more substantial
>than the first few bars of "Stairway to Heaven"!
>
>http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canad...

Trying to turn this into a Spirit-ed debate, RIchard?

Qu0ll

On 17/06/2016 18:56, Richard Maher wrote:

> For those of you who've been following on along at home all these years

Yes, I am one of those (unfortunately).

> and may have a passing interest in what I was talking about

No, I am not one of those (fortunately).

> Anyway, I may be the last person on the planet to admit Applets are dead

Correct.

> but I'm sure I'm not the only one who shed a tear at their passing.

Incorrect.

> PS. If anyone knows a half decent lawyer who operates on contingency
> fees please send him my way. HTTP/2 has a lot more than persistent,
> multiplexed, TCP/IP connections but I can tell you that that the
> similarity of algorithms involved is far greater and more substantial
> than the first few bars of "Stairway to Heaven"!

Yeah right, just like Dalvik resembles Java...

--

And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com