comp.lang.c++

Re: About C++ style (functions

Stanimir Stamenkov

6/17/2016 10:53:00 PM

Mon, 6 Jun 2016 08:42:02 -0400, /Jerry Stuckle/:

>>> Then correct your sig separator. It should be *exactly*
>>> hyphen-hyphen-space-newline.
>>
>> I don't have a sig separator now...
>
> Yes, by not following the RFC's and then complaining about others, you
> are behaving as an asshole.
>
> See https://www.ietf.org/rfc/r... section 4.3.

This doesn't mandate everyone should use this signature separator.
It has its uses mainly for signatures which include more than simple
name, and spread two or more lines. One may sign using any of:

- Name
/Name
-- Name

or another style. I think you're just being rude, lazy, or just
ignorant by not stripping it yourself (if the reader doesn't or
can't do it automatically for you), just like you should trim quotes
to a sane minimum, and that can't be automatic.

--
Stanimir
5 Answers

Jerry Stuckle

On 6/17/2016 6:52 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> Mon, 6 Jun 2016 08:42:02 -0400, /Jerry Stuckle/:

>>> I don't have a sig separator now...
>>
>> Yes, by not following the RFC's and then complaining about others, you
>> are behaving as an asshole.
>>
>> See https://www.ietf.org/rfc/r... section 4.3.
>
> This doesn't mandate everyone should use this signature separator. It
> has its uses mainly for signatures which include more than simple name,
> and spread two or more lines. One may sign using any of:
>
> - Name
> /Name
> -- Name
>
> or another style. I think you're just being rude, lazy, or just
> ignorant by not stripping it yourself (if the reader doesn't or can't do
> it automatically for you), just like you should trim quotes to a sane
> minimum, and that can't be automatic.

Where does it say it is "mainly for signatures which include more than a
simple name"? Citation?

RFC's are there for a reason. News readers and email readers use them
as standards. Only idiots and trolls ignore them. Which are you?i

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Jerry Stuckle

On 6/17/2016 6:52 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> Mon, 6 Jun 2016 08:42:02 -0400, /Jerry Stuckle/:

>>> I don't have a sig separator now...
>>
>> Yes, by not following the RFC's and then complaining about others, you
>> are behaving as an asshole.
>>
>> See https://www.ietf.org/rfc/r... section 4.3.
>
> This doesn't mandate everyone should use this signature separator. It
> has its uses mainly for signatures which include more than simple name,
> and spread two or more lines. One may sign using any of:
>
> - Name
> /Name
> -- Name
>
> or another style. I think you're just being rude, lazy, or just
> ignorant by not stripping it yourself (if the reader doesn't or can't do
> it automatically for you), just like you should trim quotes to a sane
> minimum, and that can't be automatic.

Oh, and which RFC(s) define any of these other styles?

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

Stanimir Stamenkov

Fri, 17 Jun 2016 21:12:17 -0400, /Jerry Stuckle/:
> On 6/17/2016 6:52 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

>>> Yes, by not following the RFC's and then complaining about others, you
>>> are behaving as an asshole.
>>>
>>> See https://www.ietf.org/rfc/r... section 4.3.
>>
>> This doesn't mandate everyone should use this signature separator. It
>> has its uses mainly for signatures which include more than simple name,
>> and spread two or more lines. One may sign using any of:
>>
>> - Name
>> /Name
>> -- Name
>>
>> or another style. I think you're just being rude, lazy, or just
>> ignorant by not stripping it yourself (if the reader doesn't or can't do
>> it automatically for you), just like you should trim quotes to a sane
>> minimum, and that can't be automatic.
>
> Where does it say it is "mainly for signatures which include more than a
> simple name"? Citation?

Just use your brains.

> RFC's are there for a reason. News readers and email readers use them
> as standards. Only idiots and trolls ignore them. Which are you?i

Fri, 17 Jun 2016 21:48:53 -0400, /Jerry Stuckle/:

> Oh, and which RFC(s) define any of these other styles?

Which RFC(s) prohibits using them? Which RFC(s) prohibits writing
in a style not defined in a RFC? Anyway, I'm off to something more
productive.

--
Stanimir

Jerry Stuckle

On 6/18/2016 4:09 AM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> Fri, 17 Jun 2016 21:12:17 -0400, /Jerry Stuckle/:
>> On 6/17/2016 6:52 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>>> Mon, 6 Jun 2016 08:42:02 -0400, /Jerry Stuckle/:

>>> This doesn't mandate everyone should use this signature separator. It
>>> has its uses mainly for signatures which include more than simple name,
>>> and spread two or more lines. One may sign using any of:
>>>
>>> - Name
>>> /Name
>>> -- Name
>>>
>>> or another style. I think you're just being rude, lazy, or just
>>> ignorant by not stripping it yourself (if the reader doesn't or can't do
>>> it automatically for you), just like you should trim quotes to a sane
>>> minimum, and that can't be automatic.
>>
>> Where does it say it is "mainly for signatures which include more than a
>> simple name"? Citation?
>
> Just use your brains.

Not much of a citation.

>> RFC's are there for a reason. News readers and email readers use them
>> as standards. Only idiots and trolls ignore them. Which are you?i
>
> Fri, 17 Jun 2016 21:48:53 -0400, /Jerry Stuckle/:
>
>> Oh, and which RFC(s) define any of these other styles?
>
> Which RFC(s) prohibits using them? Which RFC(s) prohibits writing in a
> style not defined in a RFC? Anyway, I'm off to something more productive.

RFC's define what IS to be used. Not what IS NOT to be used. They
define standards, and those who do not follow the standards have no
right to complain.

So now you've answered the question. You are both an idiot and a troll.

Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex@attglobal.net

Real Troll

On 18/06/2016 15:55, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> So now you've answered the question. You are both an idiot and a troll.

Are you sure dickhead?