comp.lang.c++

Re: use of the new override specifier

Lynn McGuire

6/13/2016 5:19:00 PM

On 6/10/2016 12:15 AM, Paavo Helde wrote:
> On 9.06.2016 23:30, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> So is anyone using the new C++11 override specifier? We have been
>> retroactively adding it to our code with some surprising new errors. We
>> are using Visual Studio C++ 2015.
>> http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/languag...
>
> Have been using it for many years already (it was available in MSVC long before being standardized). Helps a lot during refactoring.

Man, is it ever. I am converting our data storage from distributed to sparse and adding an owner argument to methods all over the
place. The override specifier is saving my bacon.

Lynn

1 Answer

Öö Tiib

6/13/2016 5:34:00 PM

0

On Monday, 13 June 2016 20:19:32 UTC+3, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 6/10/2016 12:15 AM, Paavo Helde wrote:
> > On 9.06.2016 23:30, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> So is anyone using the new C++11 override specifier? We have been
> >> retroactively adding it to our code with some surprising new errors. We
> >> are using Visual Studio C++ 2015.
> >> http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/languag...
> >
> > Have been using it for many years already (it was available in MSVC long before being standardized). Helps a lot during refactoring.
>
> Man, is it ever. I am converting our data storage from distributed to sparse and adding an owner argument to methods all over the
> place. The override specifier is saving my bacon.

Hiding of members of base class is confusing regardless if
knowingly or by accident and if it is virtual function that
is hidden in such a way then that is even worse.

IOW I would often appreciate some warning in situations
that 'override' makes illegal even without that 'override'
present.