Interfaces and web services in .Net.

Ollie Riches

9/9/2003 1:19:00 PM

Can I specify a custom Interface as the return type for a web service in
..Net?

I can see that you can't define ICollection as the return type but you can
defined IList as the return type?

Why is this?

Cheers

Jim

1 Answer

Dmitriy Lapshin

I don't think it is reasonable, even if technically possible. Providing an
interface as a return value assumes that the client should have an ability
to invoke the methods of the interface and, therefore, have means to perform
calls over the network. So, the actual object instance will have to be
hosted on the server. This is possible with Remoting, but the nature of Web
Services is just not tailored for such purposes, I think.

--
Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]
X-Unity Test Studio