Derek Hart

9/6/2003 6:02:00 AM

Has anybody seen a web service that can check the date. I wish to use this
as a simple shut down for a software product. Instead of checking the
computer's date, which can be changed by the user, I could require an
Internet connection and check the real date with a web service. A simple yet
effective way to shut down a program. Anybody seen this web service?

Derek

2 Answers

Herfried K. Wagner

Hello,

"Derek Hart" <dmhart@gte.net> schrieb:
> Has anybody seen a web service that can check the date. I wish to use this
> as a simple shut down for a software product. Instead of checking the
> computer's date, which can be changed by the user, I could require an
> Internet connection and check the real date with a web service. A simple
yet
> effective way to shut down a program. Anybody seen this web service?

Please do not x-post questions like this to the Windows Forms newsgroup.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP · VB Classic, VB.NET

v-lwang

Hi Derek,

We may use "DateTime.Now.Date" to get the current date on the server and
compare it to closetime of the client. If the webmethod return true, then
we can close the client.

[WebMethod]
public bool close(DateTime closetime)
{
if (closetime<DateTime.Now.Date)
return true;
else return false;
}

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

| From: "Derek Hart" <dmhart@gte.net>
| Subject: Date Web Service
| Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 23:01:52 -0700
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices,microsoft.public.dotnet
.framework.windowsforms