Ken Cox [MS MVP]

9/6/2003 3:49:00 AM

Did you recently install a security patch for Internet Explorer and are you
running Windows XP Professional? If so, check this out:

Fix for: 'Server Application Unavailable' Error after Applying Security Update
for IE

http://www.asp.net/faq/ms03-32-...

Ken
MVP [ASP.NET]

--
Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the Worm?
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms...

"shahrukh" <shahrukh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
hi
i was working on my webservices project yesterday and it worked fine.
today when i try to open it , it says web access failed.
the file path d:\inetpub\wwwroot\webservice1 does not correspond to
http://localhost/webservice1

why do i get this and how do i resolve it?
i tried searching msdn
and did what they told me on
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-u...

but it still doesnt work
thanx for your help

4 Answers

shahrukh

hi i am running on windows 2000
and dotnet version 1.
do i need to upgrade to windows 2003 ?
i re-installed IIS and dotnet too
but i wonder why what worked yesterday and 20 days ago (im developing this
webservice since then) doesnt work today...
what should i do now?

thanx for your help

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <BANSPAMken_cox@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Did you recently install a security patch for Internet Explorer and are
you
> running Windows XP Professional? If so, check this out:
>
> Fix for: 'Server Application Unavailable' Error after Applying Security
Update
> for IE
>
> http://www.asp.net/faq/ms03-32-...
>
> Ken
> MVP [ASP.NET]
>
> --
> Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the
Worm?
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms...
>

> "shahrukh" <shahrukh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
> i was working on my webservices project yesterday and it worked fine.
> today when i try to open it , it says web access failed.
> the file path d:\inetpub\wwwroot\webservice1 does not correspond to
> http://localhost/webservice1
>

> why do i get this and how do i resolve it?
> i tried searching msdn
> and did what they told me on
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-u...
>
> but it still doesnt work
> thanx for your help

Ken Cox [MS MVP]

Have you tried resetting the ASP.NET settings with:

HOWTO: Repair IIS Mapping After You Remove and Reinstall IIS

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-...

--

hi i am running on windows 2000
and dotnet version 1.
do i need to upgrade to windows 2003 ?
i re-installed IIS and dotnet too
but i wonder why what worked yesterday and 20 days ago (im developing this
webservice since then) doesnt work today...
what should i do now?

thanx for your help

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <BANSPAMken_cox@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Did you recently install a security patch for Internet Explorer and are
you
> running Windows XP Professional? If so, check this out:
>
> Fix for: 'Server Application Unavailable' Error after Applying Security
Update
> for IE
>
> http://www.asp.net/faq/ms03-32-...
>
> Ken
> MVP [ASP.NET]
>
> --
> Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the
Worm?
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms...
>

> "shahrukh" <shahrukh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
> i was working on my webservices project yesterday and it worked fine.
> today when i try to open it , it says web access failed.
> the file path d:\inetpub\wwwroot\webservice1 does not correspond to
> http://localhost/webservice1
>

> why do i get this and how do i resolve it?
> i tried searching msdn
> and did what they told me on
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-u...
>
> but it still doesnt work
> thanx for your help

shahrukh

hi thanx for the input
yep i tried that too
but didnt work..
however the webservice in a new virtual directory works..
why is that?

thanx

Peter van der Goes

> hi thanx for the input
> yep i tried that too
> but didnt work..
> however the webservice in a new virtual directory works..
> why is that?
>
> thanx

This is a real shot in the dark, but...
If you still have the original solution folder that failed you, go into it
and delete the .dll(s) from the bin subfolder. Then rebuild the solution
(this will rebuild the .dll(s)). Now see if it will work in its original
virtual directory.
As I said, a shot in the dark.

--
Peter - [MVP - Academic]