Edwin

9/5/2003 10:03:00 AM

Hi

I have developed a 3-tier .NET web application. I want to develop a web
service and hope you can enlighten me on how to start.
1. I used the vstudio standard enterprise project template to develop my
web application. When I added a web service project in my solution, vs
created a virtual site in IIS on localhost (i.e. my development machine).
That means I have two virtual sites, one for my web application and one for
web service. Is this appropriate?

2. I need to reuse the business rule objects already in my web application.
VS lets me to add reference in the web service project to the buseiness rule
project in the web application. However I found that it copied the business
rule dll into the /bin under the web service virtual site. That means if I
update the web application in the production server, the dll in the web
service will not be changed because they are copied when I deploy the web
service. Is this the appropriate way to start?

3. The web service is intended for the use of outside clients but I also
want to reuse the logic in the service from my web application. Hence I add
the web reference to my service in my application. I entered
http://localhost/webservices/myservice.vsdisco in the "Add reference" dialog
box, VS told me there is no web service available but I can debug the web
service project successfully. Why?

4. Actually, I am confused in how to set the web reference. Should I use
the vsdisco in my production machine or my development machine? If I use
http://localhost... as my web reference, I guess they will not be changed to
the production machine after I delopy my application files to the production
machine. If I use http://prodserver/... , does that mean I need to deploy
the web service to the production server first and then I can debug my
application. This also sounds odd to me. What is the appropriate way of
doing this?

Your help is apprecated. Thanks

Edwin