Web service, web proxy and timeout problem

Mehmet Salgar

8/25/2003 3:18:00 PM

Hello,

I have an very crazy problem.

I have 4 webservices I call from a rich client.

They are wroking perfectly in development environmen. They are also working
also perfectly when i call them from an Internet Web Server.

The problem, as always :)), at the customer.

Our customer has an squid Proxy server with authentication. I can not access
to the internet without setting Proxy settings and autheticating.

Well when I set the proxy property of the webservice and call it I always
get a timeout. In this stage I can say that I am doing something wrong but
the problem gets crazier with follwing input.

If I change the call to the web service to secure protocol (https)
everything is running perfect??????

So the proxy setting are true and working but I just getting timeouts for
http calls?????

Well then I said squid has a setting that is not letting http calls for Web
Service and to prove that I call from an Internet Explorer client the web
service. Guess what, it is running perfectly.

Can anybody help me with this puzzle.

Thx in advance.

MS

PS. I check the webserver logs, for http calls from richclients, none of
them reaching to the web service, but https calls are all there. From the
look of it either my calls are not leaving the client or the proxy server.
If it is not leaving the client I have an feeling it is some sort of a
thread deadlock in .NET Framework but why it is letting the https protocol
?????

1 Answer

Mehmet Salgar

Never mind I found it.

That is a bug in WebProxy if u like to call a secure web service you have to
call

=new WebProxy("some.proxy.com",433)

not like
=new WebProxy("http://some.proxy.co...)