WebServices break after upgrade to Framework 1.1

Joseph Geretz

8/22/2003 12:38:00 PM

I recently upgraded my server to Windows 2003. The first thing I noticed is
that my sample WebService pages no longer worked. The Invoke test button is
missing. This is addresed by the following KB article:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 819267
INFO: HTTP GET and HTTP POST Are Disabled by Default

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

The article advises that a new block be inserted into Web.config (or into
machine.config).

<webServices>
<protocols>
<add name="HttpGet"/>
<add name="HttpPost"/>
</protocols>
</webServices>

OK, I used the advice in that article to adjust my web.config file and now
the Invoke button is restored on my WebService test pages. However, here's
what I get when I press the Invoke button:

File or assembly name _03c_moy.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not
found.

Press it again:
File or assembly name 7g5kkds2.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not
found.

And again:
File or assembly name 3ah-fp0w.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not
found.

Every time I invoke the service I get a messgae telling me that a randomly
named dll is not found. If you want, you can stop by
www.fpsnow.com/pdportal.asmx to check this out for yourself. Does anyone
know what's going on here? (I'd just like to stress that these service pages
were working flawlessly before the upgrade.)

Ancillary questions: My application was developed, compiled and targetd for
framework 1.0, since at the time that was, after all, the only framework in
existence. Now that the machine is upgraded with a new framework 1.1, does
the application run under its original framework or under the new framework?
Shouldn't applications be locked down to the framework to which they are
originally targeted?

Thanks for you help!

- Joe Geretz -

2 Answers

Alvin Bruney

I feel your pain. I had to do open heart surgery on my webservice this week
after a 1.1 upgrade. I've hit your site and it's currently about 2 minutes
in without a response. Here are a couple things to check. If you are hitting
some sort of database on the back end using oledb or odbc drivers you will
need to remove all your references and delete the assembly from the bin. 1.1
now has these assemblies in the framework and they are made available in the
system.data.oledb/odbc namespace. They conflict and cause all sorts of grief
if you leave them in there. Do a full rebuild on your project including all
satellite assemblies. Hit the page from the server itself, ie-local then hit
the page from outside. it should work.
By the way, your webservice timed out.
hth
"Joseph Geretz" <jgeretz@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded my server to Windows 2003. The first thing I noticed
is
> that my sample WebService pages no longer worked. The Invoke test button
is
> missing. This is addresed by the following KB article:
>
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 819267
> INFO: HTTP GET and HTTP POST Are Disabled by Default
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...
>
> The article advises that a new block be inserted into Web.config (or into
> machine.config).
>
> <webServices>
> <protocols>
> <add name="HttpGet"/>
> <add name="HttpPost"/>
> </protocols>
> </webServices>
>
> OK, I used the advice in that article to adjust my web.config file and now
> the Invoke button is restored on my WebService test pages. However, here's
> what I get when I press the Invoke button:
>
> File or assembly name _03c_moy.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not
> found.
>
> Press it again:
> File or assembly name 7g5kkds2.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not
> found.
>
> And again:
> File or assembly name 3ah-fp0w.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not
> found.
>
> Every time I invoke the service I get a messgae telling me that a randomly
> named dll is not found. If you want, you can stop by
> www.fpsnow.com/pdportal.asmx to check this out for yourself. Does anyone
> know what's going on here? (I'd just like to stress that these service
pages
> were working flawlessly before the upgrade.)
>
> Ancillary questions: My application was developed, compiled and targetd
for
> framework 1.0, since at the time that was, after all, the only framework
in
> existence. Now that the machine is upgraded with a new framework 1.1, does
> the application run under its original framework or under the new
framework?
> Shouldn't applications be locked down to the framework to which they are
> originally targeted?
>
> Thanks for you help!
>
> - Joe Geretz -

Alvin Bruney

no i meant rebuilding your webservice project and redeploying it. when you
upgrade to framework 1.1, iis is remapped to work off of 1.1 and not 1.0

i'm not behind a firewall