Re: Custom HTTP Modules and Web Services

Christian Weyer

hm, what error are you receiving? This should work ...

Cheers,
--
Christian Weyer
Microsoft .NET & Service Oriented Architectures

[Microsoft Regional Director, Germany]
http://www.regionaldir...

* XML Web Services: http://www.xmlwebse...
* Weblog: http://weblogs.asp.n...

> I created a Web Service and a custom HTTP Module.
> I've put the HTTP Module dll in the Web Service's bin
> folder.
> I've put in the Web Service's web.config file the
> httpModules tag with an add tag for the HTTP Module.
> The custom HTTP Module does not load.
>
> Can anybody help?
3 Answers

Andrei Coler

No error message, it simply does not load the HTTPModule -
it ignores the tag.

Andrei

Christian Weyer

Can you show your web.config?

Cheers,
--
Christian Weyer
Microsoft .NET & Service Oriented Architectures

[Microsoft Regional Director, Germany]
http://www.regionaldir...

* XML Web Services: http://www.xmlwebse...
* Weblog: http://weblogs.asp.n...

> No error message, it simply does not load the HTTPModule -
> it ignores the tag.
>
> Andrei

Andrei Coler

Just to repeat: same <httpModules> tag with the same
information works when inserted in the web.config for a
regular (not Web Services) application.
The web.config file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>

<system.web>

<!-- DYNAMIC DEBUG COMPILATION
Set compilation debug="true" to enable ASPX
debugging. Otherwise, setting this value to
false will improve runtime performance of this
application.
Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging
symbols (.pdb information)
into the compiled page. Because this creates a
larger file that executes
more slowly, you should set this value to true
only when debugging and to
false at all other times. For more information,
refer to the documentation about
debugging ASP .NET files.
-->
<compilation
defaultLanguage="c#"
debug="true"
/>
<!-- CUSTOM ERROR MESSAGES
Set customError mode values to control the
display of user-friendly
error messages to users instead of error details
(including a stack trace):

"On" Always display custom (friendly) messages
"Off" Always display detailed ASP.NET error
information.
"RemoteOnly" Display custom (friendly) messages
only to users not running
on the local Web server. This setting is
recommended for security purposes, so
that you do not display application detail
information to remote clients.
-->
<customErrors
mode="RemoteOnly"
/>

<!-- AUTHENTICATION
This section sets the authentication policies of
the application. Possible modes are "Windows", "Forms",
"Passport" and "None"
-->
<authentication mode="Windows" />

<!-- APPLICATION-LEVEL TRACE LOGGING
Application-level tracing enables trace log
output for every page within an application.
Set trace enabled="true" to enable application
trace logging. If pageOutput="true", the
trace information will be displayed at the
bottom of each page. Otherwise, you can view the
application trace log by browsing
the "trace.axd" page from your web application
root.
-->
<trace
enabled="false"
requestLimit="10"
pageOutput="false"
traceMode="SortByTime"
localOnly="true"
/>

<!-- SESSION STATE SETTINGS
By default ASP .NET uses cookies to identify
which requests belong to a particular session.
If cookies are not available, a session can be
tracked by adding a session identifier to the URL.
To disable cookies, set sessionState
cookieless="true".
-->
<sessionState
mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
sqlConnectionString="data
source=127.0.0.1;user id=sa;password="
cookieless="false"
timeout="20"
/>

<!-- GLOBALIZATION
This section sets the globalization settings of
the application.
-->
<globalization
requestEncoding="utf-8"
responseEncoding="utf-8"
/>

<httpModules>
<add

type="WebServiceAuthenticationModule.WebServiceAuth
enticationModule, WebServiceAuthenticationModule"
name="WebServiceAuthenticationModule"/>
</httpModules>
</system.web>

</configuration>